[texhax] memoir Re: Help with SOP writing..

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Mon Oct 6 13:07:01 CEST 2008

George Georgalis wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> On Sat 04 Oct 2008 at 09:46:44 PM +0200, Uwe L?ck wrote:
>> At 18:39 04.10.08, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>>> What about memoir? It is extremely flexible
>> Sure, I just suppressed this reflex of mine because ...
>> TeX is flexible, too ...
>> ... and if fancyhdr has been tried successlessly,
>> another flexible package won't help more,
>> unless it addresses SOP expressly ...
>

> I've followed this thread with interest as matching a preexisting
> layout can be one of the more challenging aspects of Latex
> document preparation (for me). I'd like to share my SOP templates
> but that wouldn't be allowed.
>
> After looking at the memoir manual, I'm curious, how well adopted
> it is?  While it seems professionally done, it does so much that I
> wonder if I take the time to adopt it will I be stranded if I get
> stuck with some issue?
>
> How many people are using it? How many people are interested in
> providing user support should I get stuck?
>
> I generally prefer the unix methodology that programs (packages)
> do one thing, and very well. But if memoir just makes *everything*
> easier, it may be worthwhile loading it in my documents.
>
> What are the shortcomings of memoir?
>
> George

Well, the manual is not always easy to understand for a novice.

I instruct all my users to use memoir, because in the long run it is a
better investment than starting with the standard classes.

If you run into problems you just ask here or on comp.text.tex and there
are a lot of people who can help

--

/daleif