[texhax] memoir Re: Help with SOP writing..

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Mon Oct 6 11:37:02 CEST 2008

Hello All,

On Sat 04 Oct 2008 at 09:46:44 PM +0200, Uwe L?ck wrote:
>At 18:39 04.10.08, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>>What about memoir? It is extremely flexible
>
>Sure, I just suppressed this reflex of mine because ...
>TeX is flexible, too ...
>... and if fancyhdr has been tried successlessly,
>another flexible package won't help more,
>unless it addresses SOP expressly ...

I've followed this thread with interest as matching a preexisting
layout can be one of the more challenging aspects of Latex
document preparation (for me). I'd like to share my SOP templates
but that wouldn't be allowed.

After looking at the memoir manual, I'm curious, how well adopted
it is?  While it seems professionally done, it does so much that I
wonder if I take the time to adopt it will I be stranded if I get
stuck with some issue?

How many people are using it? How many people are interested in
providing user support should I get stuck?

I generally prefer the unix methodology that programs (packages)
do one thing, and very well. But if memoir just makes *everything*
easier, it may be worthwhile loading it in my documents.

What are the shortcomings of memoir?

George