[texhax] A new question not in the TeX FAQ

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Sat Nov 1 15:32:10 CET 2008

Jeney Gábor wrote:
> Dear Herbert,
> I have also provided a solution to the problem (with \newcommand
> statement), have you read the whole letter? The focus of my question was
> rather that why it is not possible to use the \usebox command inside
> \label?

Because a label is just an identifier. It's just a sequence of
characters (in the input sense, not in the sense of characters that get
printed), while a box is typeset text (or something that will be
typeset). It contains the glyphs to be printed, and possibly glue,
kerns, and other special features.

I'm sure someone can come up with a more technical (or texnical)
explanation, but that is the idea.

To be beautiful is enough! if a woman can do that well who should demand
more from her?  You don't want a rose to sing.
		-- Thackeray

eduardo at kalinowski.com.br