[texhax] printing fonts... off topic...

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat May 24 02:45:22 CEST 2008

George Georgalis writes:
 > Hi All, I hope this list is not strict about off topic questions.
 > Not sure where else to get better info. Please disregard or
 > respond off list with complaints I'll forward summary to the list
 > if that is warrented.

Hi George,
though you created the document with Quark I think it's ok to ask
here.

It seems that the document is ok.  Subsets of all the fonts are
embedded.  The font used in the headline is:

/Notice (Copyright (c) 1992 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.Grotesque is a trademark of The Monotype Corporation plc registered in the U.S. Patent & TM Office.) readonly def
/FullName (Grotesque MT Condensed) readonly def

I disassembled the embedded subset of this font and at a first glance
I can't detect anything unusual.

However, when I extract the font from the PDF file and create a
PostScript file using this subset then I get an empty page when I try
to display the file with gv/ghostscript.  In order to double-check I
included another font (Pagella).  This one works.

This is the PS file I created:
%!PS
%!PS-AdobeFont-1.0: TeXGyrePagella-Regular 1.103
%%% [a lot of stuff omitted]

%!FontType1-1.0: GrotesqueMT-Condensed001.000
%%% [a lot of stuff omitted]

100 100 moveto
/GrotesqueMT-Condensed findfont 20 scalefont setfont
(Science&Technology) show

100 300 moveto
/TeXGyrePagella-Regular findfont 20 scalefont setfont
(Science&Technology) show

showpage

I only see TeXGyrePagella-Regular but not GrotesqueMT-Condensed.
Though I don't see any irregularities in the disassambled font I
think that there *must* be something unusual with this font.

I have no problems to display your document with acroread and xpdf,
but when I use gv(ghostscript) the page is built up and everything is
visible, even the headlines, but immediately after the page had been
built up everything is wiped out.

George, I don't want to mislead you to violate copyrights.  But maybe
it's ok for debugging:  Microsoft provides a lot of Monotype fonts and
maybe there is also GrotesqueMT-Condensed.  If yes, could you try it?
They provide TrueType fonts while what you are currently using are
Type1 fonts.  Maybe they behave differently.

Do you have a TeX system installed?  It would be helpful.  Do the
programs pdftops, t1ascii, t1disasm, and Perl exist on your system?

If not, see

  http://ii2.sourceforge.net/tex-index.html

Regards,
  Reinhard