[texhax] How to dereference a \ref in a command definition?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Fri May 16 19:16:37 CEST 2008

I am trying to write a command to manipulate some section
references. My problem is that when I pass it something like

in #1, then \meaning{#2} tells me it's

If I define a variable with that value (I am probably not using the
right terms here...),

then I can get rid of the \protect and \meaning\myref gives:

What I would really want/need at this stage is the section ref
"unpacked", so replaced with its number, e.g. 4.1.2.

How can I achieve this?

Thank you!

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck
"convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."
                                                 - friedrich nietzsche
spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net