[texhax] bizarre problem with pdflatex - please help!

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Sat Mar 22 09:52:49 CET 2008

Dirk Petry <dpetry at swissmail.org> writes:

> ! LaTeX Error: File `html.sty' not found.
>
> The missing file 'html.sty' is actually not missing!
> It is in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/html/html.sty !
> As it is on the machine where everything is working.

That sounds like the file-path hashing is set up differently.
You can verify the search using kpsewhich.  There is a way
to show the search path, but I forget it.

By any chance was the broken system upgraded from an older install
with tetex, which may still partially exist?  You may be pulling
input files from the old directories.  Or you may have environment
variables set differently.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca