[texhax] make minipage table in figure appear in lot?

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sat Jun 28 21:30:09 CEST 2008

At 15:49 27.06.08, Lars Madsen wrote:
> > On  26 Jun, 2008, at 07:46, Bryan W. Lepore wrote:
> >> i have a minipage table inside a figure environment.  the _figure_
> >> appears in the list of figures (since \caption[this is a figure]{} is
> used).
> >> it'd be nice to have it appear in the list of tables also.
> >>
> >> is there a way to do that without revamping the table-inside-a-
> >> figure to a figure-inside-a-table?
>
>first of all why both? and why is a table inserted as a figure? just
>wondering.

[I were a student of analytical philosophy which seems to have been
driven by an enthusiastic idea that all problems will vanish as soon
as we discover what the words we are using mean:]

"Tables", in LaTeX, are typeset as "tabular" environments (or variants).
LaTeX "table" environments are floats meant to contain "tables"
-- which are typeset as LaTeX "tabular environments".

So I GUESS (note again how useful concrete examples may be
in query postings) Bryan has placed a "table" being a tabular
environment in a "figure" environment ... wants to have it not only
in the "list of figures", but also in the "list of tables" ...

However, TABLES ARE NOT FIGURES! Please don't list a table
as a figure! Just put it in a "table" environment so it is listed
in the "list of tables"! (... turning Lars' wonderings into a demand!)

Right?

[... to continue analytic reasoning, where the notion of "meta-language"
played an essential role: what about considering the "table of contents"
a float appearing in the list of tables? HA HA HA HA HA I'm roaring,
riding back to hell!!!...]

Uwe