[texhax] Swedish Characters

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Jul 5 01:44:38 CEST 2008

On  4 Jul, 2008, at 07:32, Martin Jönsson wrote:

> Dear TUG,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to turn to. Appologies if it
> is not. I'm a new mactex user from sweden who is having problems with
> getting documents to display the swedish charactera å ä and ö.
>
> I've tried
>
> \usepackage[swedish]{babel}
> \usepackage[encoding]{inputenc}
>
> but this generated the error message:
>
> file 'encoding.def' not found

Yes, that was wrong, latin1, latin9, utf8... are right encodings.

> I've also tried (which was recomended somewhere else)
>
> \usepackage[swedish]{babel}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>
> but this generated the error message
>
> !Package inputeenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
> (inputenc)          in inputencoding 'latin1'.

I would use

\usepackage[swedish]{babel}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

Now ---you might be using TeXShop as your editor, I guess; so, you
have to be sure TeXShop is using the same encoding you're telling
LaTeX to use: go to TeXShop -> Preferences ->Document tab -> Encoding
(lower right corner) and select in the pull-down menu the encoding
you plan to use. I've suggested above utf8, so it would be ``Unicode
(UTF-8)'', but if you prefer latin1, select ``Western (ISO Latin 1)''.

Restart TeXShop and try again.

There is also a TeX on Mac OS X mailing list: