[texhax] steady decline in tug membership ?

justanotheradress at gmail.com justanotheradress at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:49:36 CET 2008


I don't know why you are that pissed and assume that I'm a kid?! I'm well
aware about the volunteer fact and I did not deny or attack that at all! I
even did not demand anything. I just wrote my thoughts, that's all.

Because I don't own the domain/server I can't publish a forum or a wiki. To
setup a forum and a wiki is ridiculous easy and yes, I could do that.

I know that speech, 10 years ago the Linux folks sounded pretty much like
you. I'm very thankful that those guys have nothing to say anymore...

However, I just spend some time to express an outsider-view. If you don't
like it fine. I can live with that  ;)

On Jan 31, 2008 2:31 AM, Alan Litchfield <alan at alphabyte.co.nz> wrote:

> Well, [no name provided] this is a forum that you are posting to. It
> just so happens that it uses an email client to display postings
> rather than a web browser. It is run by volunteers and is the product
> of an initiative that no doubt was started by one person's idea. In
> fact most activities in the TeX community are voluntary and no one is
> required to respond to any posting or question and indeed the
> community is run at cost to the individuals concerned so that you have
> some thing to complain about.
> In the adult community, when one observes that there is a useful
> feature that may make life easier and if one has the time and
> facilities to action it, then a person may provide such services and
> perhaps make them available to the wider community. However most
> people who answer questions on this forum (and for that there are
> large numbers who are grateful) are also living a life and working to
> support that life. It may be that the idea has been considered but
> that the person/people had not the time or facilities to see it into
> fruition. Clearly you believe there is a need for this kind of
> interface so why don't you start the wiki or the forum and join in the
> spirit you say you crave to be part of? In other words, what are you
> offering in return for your demands?
> Alan
> On 31/01/2008, at 5:35 PM, justanotheradress at gmail.com wrote:
> > I guess we define user friendly resp. usability differently...
> > A forum and a wiki is something total different from that.
> >
> >
> > On Jan 30, 2008 11:27 PM, Martin Heller <mr_heller at yahoo.dk> wrote:
> > justanotheradress at gmail.com skrev:
> >
> > > I'm also a new TeX(live) user. After some back and forth I got my
> > > question answered, but I really don't like the mailinglist-system.
> > While
> > > this is may good for occasional and though questions from advanced
> > > users, it's totally the wrong way to go for newbies. What I really
> > miss
> > > is a central forum and a central wiki.
> >
> > You can post and read messages using your favorite news client
> > through gmane.org. <http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.texhax>.
> > Also the usenet group comp.text.tex is quite friendly to new users.
> >
> > > I really don't care about regional meetings and stuff, but I
> > would, as
> > > soon as my skills are better, share my knowledge in a forum and/or
> > wiki.
> >
> > Just start posting on usenet or contribute to the faq
> > <http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?>.
> >
> --
> Alan Litchfield GradDipBus, MBus(Hons), CTT, MNZCS
> AlphaByte
> PO Box 1941, Auckland, NZ. 1140
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/attachments/20080131/df62d12c/attachment.html 

More information about the texhax mailing list