[texhax] "Latin Marks"

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Mon Jan 7 17:09:00 CET 2008

Since I updated my version of TeX, I have been getting the following
error message (which the same source code never generated before):
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/latin.ldf
! Undefined control sequence.
l.184 \addtoextraslatin
                        {\LatinMarksOff}
?
! Undefined control sequence.
l.184 \addtoextraslatin{\LatinMarksOff
                                       }
?
For a book manuscript, I have quotations in several languages
including latin, so I have the following call to babel:
\usepackage[german, greek, french, latin, italian, english]{babel}

When I simply go past the error message while typesetting, nothing
untoward appears to happen, but it is a nuisance.  What can I do to
stop it?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University