[texhax] Heading question

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:56:19 CET 2008

Michael Doob said the following at 02/27/2008 07:37 AM :
> On Tuesday 26 February 2008 8:05 pm, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> D. R. Evans said the following at 02/26/2008 09:31 AM :
>>> I am trying to do the following, but I can't figure out how to implement it :-(
>>>
>>> 1. I have a book in which the chapters have titles.
>>> 2. On even-numbered pages, the headline should always be the title of the book.
>>> 3. On odd-numbered pages, the headline should be the title of the current
>>> chapter EXCEPT that if a new chapter starts on that page, the headline
>>> should be empty.
>
> If I understand you correctly, the answer to your question is in the
> (freely available on CTAN) file gentle.tex.

Would you care to be more specific? That's a 97-page document.

A search for "\output" showed no occurrences. Ditto a search for "\mark".
And one for \head came up with only a very elementary section on creating
headlines.

  Doc