[texhax] current position in output

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Dec 28 05:48:32 CET 2008

tom sgouros writes:

 > I wasn't clear.  \pagetotal is the accumulated distance from the top of
 > the page, and when it *exceeds* \pagegoal, the machinery clanks and a
 > new page is output.

No!  See my previous mail.  Absolutely nothing happens when \pagetotal
exceeds \pagegoal.  The machinery simply doesn't work this way.

 > \the\pagetotal\the\pagegoal
 >
 > \the\pagetotal\the\pagegoal
 >
 > \the\pagetotal\the\pagegoal
 >
 > \the\pagetotal\the\pagegoal

This is useless.  Put these commands into paragraphs containing text,
one near the beginning and one near the end of each paragraph and see
what happens when a page break occurs.

Use the pdfTeX primitives suggested by Martin instead.  Everything
else is useless.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25