[texhax] LaTeX Student

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Aug 30 01:10:08 CEST 2008

On  29 Aug, 2008, at 02:50, Kazuo Yamazaki wrote:

> Dear TUG:
> My name is Kazuo Yamazaki. I am a math student at Stanford
> University. I am a typical math student type who has dove into more
> theoretical side of studies and spent most of my days on blackboard
> rather than on computer. Consequently, I have had much trouble
> understanding how to use LaTeX. I really want to understand how to
> use this program; I have recently written a research paper with a
> professor and he prefers that I write the draft using LaTeX.

You're professor is quite right, and you won't regret learning LaTeX.
Please download Prof. Grätzer's Short Course in

and start by reading Appendix A. You can say MiKTeX is both a
distribution of TeX and friends (LaTeX, etc.) as well as the program
that installs said distribution.

Then read ``The not so Short Introduction to LaTeX'':

Feel free to post your questions here ---this is a mailing list where
users try to help other users.

And if you can join TUG, it would be great.

Best regards,