[texhax] headline vertical boxing.

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Mon Aug 11 21:04:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Oleg Katsitadze wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 07:52:45PM -0600, Ludwig Mises wrote:
> > While the \strut clearly helped, it hasn't eliminated the spacing
> > alignment entirely.
>
> I guess that's because you haven't set up \strut for \bigfont.  So the
> strut you get is for the default 10pt Computer Modern.

ah, yes.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, Hartmut Henkel wrote:

> if using \strut, it should be in the sequence \bigfont\strut so that
> the \strut really uses the dimensions from the \bigfont font.

ooops, that's nonsense, sorry; this sequence doesn't matter in plain
TeX, as \strut dimensions are fixed (too small to be useful for a 14pt
font). I was thinking LaTeX, where \strut gets its dimensions from the
current baselineskip. So if you want to use a \strut in plain TeX with
other font sizes, you need to make some \mystrut yourself.

Regards, Hartmut