[texhax] that darn spot

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Tue Apr 8 18:56:51 CEST 2008

> > I use YAP 2.4.1803 to display TeX documents, by 'TeX
> document' I mean
> > the result of an experiment aimed at learning something
> about TeX.  A
> > Yap display contains a spot, an annular looking thing less than
> > a quarter inch in diameter, placed at unpredictable places
> in the display,
> > but almost always, covering something
> > I need to see.  I've tried several routines, \vskips,
> \hskips and whatnot,
> > aimed at pushing the spot out of view,
> > none of them work 100%.  What, short of a shotgun, can I do
> to eliminate
> > this annoying problem?
> > Gratefully,
> >                Randy
> >

> I guess it is source specials they can be used for returning
> back to the
> source code in your editor.
>
> I don't use Yap myself, but you might be able to tell yap to
> ignore spurce
> specials, otherwise tell your editor not to use source specials

Yes, indeed.  I assume you're using something like WinEdt and clicking on
the icon that opens the dvi at the point corresponding to the current cursor
position.  I don't think you can use the this facility and turn off the dot
at the same time.  So, either don't use the facility (and disable source
specials) or try moving the cursor a little further down the page (probably
the more sensible option).

Cheers,  Phil