[texhax] simple rotate/invert character

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 1 14:33:06 CEST 2008

I sent this to Bryan yesterday, but I thought I'd resend to the list
because it also answers the alignment question.  With the rotating
package you can rotate characters but keep the baseline where you
want it.

On Mar 31, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Bryan W. Lepore wrote:

> is there a short command to rotate/invert a letter?  so that without
> having to start a new environment, one could do something like :
> \invert{B}
> or
> \rotate{B}
> so the "B" gets inverted or rotated?
> -bryan

Dear Byran,

Good question.  It's a little bit tricky because TeX is used to
putting characters on a page, and once you start rotating characters
they're not regular characters anymore.  You need a graphical
solution, which then becomes dependent on the post-TeX processing
methods (e.g., dvips or pdftex).

If you use regular LaTeX and dvips, try the rotate package.  In
pdfLaTeX, this works:

\usepackage{rotating}% provides a rotate environment

\item regular B
\item rotate \rotxc B
\item invert \invert B

Hope that helps!