[texhax] Use of Win2K with ProTeXt

tebrock at juno.com tebrock at juno.com
Thu Sep 27 22:34:23 CEST 2007

Gentlepeople,

Robin L gave me your email address to seek advice re my installation of the ProTeXt suite.  Sure hope you have the answers.

I received the DVD many days ago and installed the ProTeXt suite on a PC with Win XP and all went according to the interactive installation instructions in the pdf file. I was able to process a sample file with an eps figure (via the package psfig or another package spelled something like graphics - the only difference I could see was where the figure title is re the drawing). I am now trying to install the ProTeXt suite on a PC with Win 2K, installed with FAT32.  The installation goes ok until I try to get packages recognized. My recollection is that they were installed in C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5\tm\packages with Win XP.  I now find them in C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5\tpm\packages, but when I browse to that location I get a message that the path does not appear to be the repository for the packages.

Today I re-installed the ProTeXt suite, invoking now the 'Complete MiKTeX' which apparently does install all the packages ok.  Now I am able to get a pdf file for the sample LaTeX file (with an eps figure) that I previously used with Win XP.  However, now I find that the TeXnicCenter editor does not accept any changes to the LaTeX file.  I can use another editor but it does seem a shame not to have the whole working.

I could not find any discussion on this aspect of the editor in the TeXnicCenter web site. Alternatively, neither have I found a discussion of how to install packages for my situation at the MiKTeX site. Perhaps you have some insight.

I have sent a request for info to protext at tug.org but have not received an answer after 2 days so I must have not correctly followed the instructions on the Web page.

Thanks,  Terry