[texhax] Howto Count tokens

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Mon Sep 17 22:29:57 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm pretty new to TeX programming, so my understanding of it is pretty
shallow. I'm trying to write a latex class at the moment and hit the
following problem.

I have a register created with \newtoks\list, it's content is roughly

	{AA \mysep{BB \mysep CC \mysep DD} \mysep{EE} }

Now the problem is, how do I count the number of \mysep-s? I first
tried to replace all of them with a step in the counter (idea from tex
by topic)

	\def\mysep#1{\advance\mycount1\relax}\the\list

And now the counter has a number.
But that obviously doesn't take into account the nesting. Now I could
just redefine it to:

	\def\mysep#1{\advance\mycount1\relax #1}\the\list

Now I get the correct number, but now it also outputs AA BB CC DD EE.
In other words I need a way to expand the list but discard the output,
I only need the `by product'.

Any ideas on this?

grts Tim