[texhax] [pdftex] DVI to HTML mechanism demo

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Sun Oct 28 13:29:19 CET 2007

Phil

> > [BTW: Such software would also produce far superior (to
> > any variant of the TeX paradigm) results for paper-style publication.]
>
> On what do you base that last assertion, Chris ?

Just one simple example (for a novel):

  you could produce concurrently, for each paragraph in a chapter, a
  range of 'good enough' formattings; these collections can then be
  used to choose the optimal pagination (lengths plus breaks) for the
  chapter (possibly, but probably not, by global optimisation).

That one (I think) is more fully explained in Mittelbach & Rowley
[1992a] but I am sure you can generalise.

General manipulation of the whole document tree must be be more
productive than mutliple sequential runs over it, must it not?

Cheers,  chris