[texhax] Bug#446476: natbib cannot handle utf8

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Sat Oct 13 15:30:19 CEST 2007

also sprach Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner at web.de> [2007.10.13.1312 +0100]:
> > So I tried *again* to remove the utf8 characters from the bibtex
> > entries, and this time I guess I got them all (and previously must
> > have forgotten one), and suddenly it works.
> recode --diacritics UTF-8..LaTeX

I wasn't aware of this, but to be honest, I'd rather *not* use it.
Latex diacritics are a pain to read. It's 2007. I should not have to
be jumping through hoops.

> There the first byte from the UTF-8 representation of 'ü' was used
> in the key, which triggered an error. With natbib the full author
> field ends up in the key (see main.bbl), so this particular
> problem does not happen. 


> > So this is a natbib bug, it seems.
> It might also be a problem with ucs.sty's implementation of UTF-8. At
> least your sample document works for me if I use the UTF-8
> implementation from inputenc, ie
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

I can confirm this. Let me try to figure out why I wanted to use

So this is starting to look like a bug in
ucs.sty/texlive-latex-recommended then?

 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
: :'  :  proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`   http://people.debian.org/~madduck - http://debiansystem.info
  `-  Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems
"all women become like their mothers. that is their tragedy. no man
 does. that's his."
                                                        -- oscar wilde
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature (see http://martin-krafft.net/gpg/)
Url : http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/attachments/20071013/7a163298/attachment.bin 

More information about the texhax mailing list