[texhax] orphaned sentence

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Tue Oct 9 15:40:24 CEST 2007

> Occasionally the last part of a single sentence, or half a paragraph,
> flows to the last page of the document and stands unsightly by itself.
> How can I prevent this from happening with a latex command, if any,
> please? I like to avoid fixing it manually each time. Thanks.

Something of an FAQ.  Looking back, I believe something like this can help
("borrowed" from www.ichimusai.org/latex/):

You can avoid this by setting the following penalty values

\clubpenalty=9999
\widowpenalty=9999

This makes it rather hard for LaTeX to "break the rule" and typeset orphans
or widows. However it is still possible in some situations they will still
occur.

It is not recommendet to set this to 10000, bad things can happen then when
LaTeX can never break this rule.

Cheers, Phil