[texhax] Fancy headers, parts and chapters

James Smith james.smith at aleph-one.com
Sun Oct 7 22:34:05 CEST 2007

Hey,

I'm trying to get the name of the part of the book in the left hand
header and the name of the chapter in the right hand header. I'm using
fancyhdr but cannot work this out.

I have dutifully read both the fancyhdr and all the usual documentation
but cannot find out anything much. In particular, LaTeX marks seem
little documented, I'm still not even sure what they are. What does
\markboth do, really?

If anyone can just provide the necessary lines to allow me to use
\leftmark and \rightmark in my definitions of the headers, I can
probably work most of it out myself from there, or some pointers on
LaTeX marks would help. Whatever is easier.

Kind regards,

James

P.S. Apologies for the last pointless post about fancy verbatims. In the
end I simply found the solution by reading the relevant documentation.
Sorry again.