[texhax] Found one more character I need...

Stanislaw Romanski s.romanski at datos.pl
Wed Oct 3 15:18:58 CEST 2007

Below there is a TeX code and the PDF result is in the file attached.

S.R.

%===========================================================
%&pdfmex --translate-file=cp1250pl

\parindent 0pt
\parskip =9pt

Hi !

There are just 9 (nine) characters in polish alphabet
which are absent in Latin. These are:

\smallskip
\hbox to 3.3cm{a c e l n ó s z z}
\hbox to 3.3cm{A C E L N Ó S Z Z}

I think, to get the beautiful polish charcters, one should use
the "polish" modifications of the original Knuth fonts:

\hbox to 5cm{ PLR instead of CMR \hss}
\hbox to 5cm{ PLBX instead of CMBX \hss}
\hbox to 5cm{ PLSS instead of CMSS etc.\hss}
\vskip-\parskip
or another fonts with polish characters.

Personally, I use PLAIN TeX and I make use of Live TeX package,
with predefined fonts with polish characters and "on\ the\ fly"
translation of my Windows CP-1250 characters (granted by --translate-file
option)
just into internal TeX representation.

{\parskip0pt
With a non-polonized LaTeX, you probably have to

--- include polish fonts

--- define the macros getting chars from specific positions in font table,
like
{\tt$\backslash$char"A6} (e) or {\tt$\backslash$char"AA} (l).
}

It is to say, the good polish typography requires not only these characters
but also some other options:

{\parskip0pt
--- different "great or equal" and "less or equal" characters ( $\xleq$
$\xgeq$ and $\le$ $\ge$ )

--- different convention of quotation ( ,,Polish Name'' and "English Name" )

--- different convention of hyphenation

and probably some othe features.
}

I think Poland is not so exotic, as it seems to be sometimes.
There are many TeX users, and a strong TeX Users Group named "GUST"
(see www.gust.org.pl ).

Stanislaw Romanski

\bye