[texhax] too big space after equation with index or nomenclature entry

Natércia Fernandes natercia at eq.uc.pt
Fri Nov 9 15:41:55 CET 2007

Hi

I've noticed an interesting behavior when inserting an index entry or a
nomenclature entry during the preparation of a book with LaTeX:

If a paragraph ends with an equation the space after the equation gets too big
if an index entry (or alternatively a nomenclature entry) is added after the
equation and before the paragraphs ends.

The following produces too big space:

         Some text
         \begin{equation}
         a=b.
         \end{equation}
         \index{Something}

         More text.

But the following produces a correct space:

         Some text
         \begin{equation}
         a=b.
         \end{equation}

         \index{Something}
         More text.

I'm attaching a minimal example for the case of nomenclature entries (index
entries
present the very same behavior): in example3 the problem appears; in example4
the prob doesn't appear.

Can this too big spacement visible in example3 be avoided in a better way than
moving the entry to the following paragraph as I did in example4?

Thanks,
Natércia