[texhax] TeX commands as abbreviations

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Nov 1 15:04:34 CET 2007

also sprach Morten Høgholm <morten.hoegholm at gmail.com> [2007.11.01.1442 +0100]:
> <http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=xspace>

Unfortunately, this does not quite explain the behaviour I now see.

For instance, with

  \newcommand{\foreign}[1] {\emph{#1}}
  \newcommand{\vs}[1] {\foreign{vs.}\xspace}

"Variance \vs process theory" becomes "Variance vs. rocess theory".
Properly spaced, but it still eats a character.

I thus went to the source and found that \xspace consumes the next
character and does nothing if it's not in the exception list. Should
it not push the character back onto the stream?

a Hooloovoo is a superintelligent shade of the color blue.
            -- douglas adams, "the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net