[texhax] graphics question

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Wed May 23 18:26:50 CEST 2007

Diego,

There are two solutions depending on what you want to do.

If you want to add some text or whatever to a latex figure then I use
the overpic package, which is basically:

\begin{overpic}[<graphicx options]{<graphic file>}{
 latex picture commands \put, etc.
\end{overpic}

The graphicx options are all those you would use for \includegraphics
plus a grid option, which turns on a grid to help you see where to put
your extra bits. I think this is what you're after, and it is very easy.
It's essentially an extended version of \includegraphics.

If you want to place something on a page, such as a watermark, I'd use
eso-pic. There are some examples with the package/documentation.

HTH

Steve

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 21:45 -0500, Diego L. Guarín wrote:
> hi, i´d like to apologize for my English it is not very good.
>
> I have a question related to the treatment of the graphics in latex,
> in the WYSIWYG programs (word, open-office, etc..) u can put an image
> in the work space, send it to the
> background and then write over the image, to be more explicit i send a
> picture showing that i mean.
> As far as i know in latex when u put a picture using
>
> \begin{figure}
>   % Requires \usepackage{graphicx}
>   \includegraphics[width=10cm]{image}\\
>   \caption{image}\label{this is a picture of u}
> \end{figure}
>
> latex separate a space that can only be occupied by the file name
> image, so it´s impossible to write over the image, i´d have to modify
> the picture in GIMP or some other program.
> Or it´s possible to do the same i show in the attacked picture in
> latex?????
>

> thx a lot for ur time, o really hope that all u people understand what
> i mean.
>

> Diego Guarín
> U.T.P
> Colombia
Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs