[texhax] Latex templates (and tips) for Lulu books?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Mar 28 13:18:45 CEST 2007

On Mar 28, 2007, at 12:26 AM, M. Fioretti wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I hoped that this information and material were already available
> online, but apparently this isn't the case.
>
> I am looking for a ready Latex template for a 6 x 9 Lulu book. Can
> they be downloaded from some website?

Not as such. AFAIK.

> I *am* willing to make one myself, both to learn Latex better and to
> hack things to better suit my taste, but I'd really prefer to start
> from something which already works.

Just setting the size to 6 x 9 (say using the geometry package)
should go a long way towards that.

> If it matters, the book would be text only, with both internal cross
> references and external bibliography, but no pictures, diagrams or
> tables.
>
> Besides the template or pointers to it, any typesetting feedback and
> tip for this specific book format (which font, font size, whatever!)
> is very welcome.

My suggestion would be to use memoir or the Koma script documentclass
--- probably the latter since you're in Europe. Memoir has excellent
documentation (oriented towards North American conventions and
usages), and I'm pretty sure the (non-English) docs for Koma are as
good (and oriented towards European conventions).

I've a list of books on typography which you may find of interest:

http://members.aol.com/willadams/books-typography.html

and also a list of free texts on TeX:

http://members.aol.com/willadams/books-e-tex.html

I also did some pieces which are in my portfolio which you may find
of interest, or perhaps also my .pdf version of Mike Brotherton's
_Star Dragon_ which I posted the preamble for to comp.text.tex:

http://www.mikebrotherton.com/archives/002481.html

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_frm/thread/
e343b36b4feeecb1/c0a0ef79783ada53?lnk=st&q=mike+brotherton+star+dragon
+pdf&rnum=1#c0a0ef79783ada53

(or search your favourite usenet archive for ``mike brotherton star
dragon pdf'')

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.