[texhax] Large LaTeX fragment

Dan Hatton vi5u0-texhax at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 12:19:44 CET 2007

Dear All,

I have a 34MB LaTeX fragment, generated by Gnuplot, which I would like
to \input{} into a document.  Not surprisingly, when I try this, I get
an error message

TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=some_number_here].

By cranking up the main memory setting in texmf.cnf, I've increased
some_number_here from 4000000 to 32000000, but appear to have hit a
hard-coded limit at this point.  So, three related questions:

Is there any way I can increase main memory beyond 32000000?

How much memory usage, in (kilo,mega,giga)bytes does a main memory
setting of 32000000 represent?

Is there any way I can break up the LaTeX fragment so it doesn't all
have to be loaded at once, without destroying the graph it represents?

--

Thanks very much

Dan Hatton

<http://www.bib.hatton.btinternet.co.uk/dan/>