[texhax] Problem with foils package install

Jim Gerard riskbudget at comcast.net
Sun Mar 11 17:45:00 CET 2007

Hi, folks --

I've run into a problem getting an installation of the slide package foiltex to run -- latex seems to be unable to find the class file, even thought it's where it should be (in a similar path as other packages that are running,  Program Files\TeXLive\texmf-local\tex\latex\foiltex\)  I'm using a slightly older version of LaTeX2e as you can see, but foiltex is supposedly OK with any latex version beyond 1996.  I get the same logs whether I run from the command line or via TeXShell32:

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2c 7.3.3.1) (format=latex 2003.3.15) 11 MAR 2007 11:20**sampfoil.tex(./sampfoil.tex
LaTeX2e <2000/06/01>Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for loaded.File: sampfoil.tex 2002/10/29 v2.1.4a Sample FoilTeX file, Copyright IBM 1995,1997,1998,2002

! LaTeX Error: File `foils.cls' not found. Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed, or enter new name. (Default extension: cls)

My TeX installation has gotten a little flaky lately, so I've been thinking of clean reinstalling the most recent version -- does the above look like something obvious (has the path setting gotten fouled up, etc.)?  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Jim Gerard