[texhax] Q: centering with known width

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon Mar 12 12:49:41 CET 2007

At 18:04 08.03.07, Martin Heller wrote:

>Load the array package and define a new column type.

I am strongly biased towards trying very hard to avoid
with tables in recent months. Thought many days,
learnt a lot, and it still works, without the array package.
So concerning the posting:

"p" is not the only way to get a fixed column width
with "simple" LaTeX (loading packages as pasimoniously
as possible). Another way is (e.g.):

   \begin{tabular}{| c | c |}
   \hline
   Name & \makebox[.15\textwidth]{\hfill Downstream per-device limit
(Mbps)\hfill} \\
   \hline
   etc.

It suffices to use that \makebox in one single row of the table.

HTH -- Uwe.