[texhax] Font size changed by Adobe Reader

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:25:50 CET 2007

"Frauke Jurgensen" <fraukevj at gmail.com> writes:

> I suspect that when you open the file with Acrobat, it's shrinking
> the page automatically to adjust the margins (to 96% or so?). I think
> you can turn off that option somewhere.

In Acrobat Reader print dialog window there is:

   Copies and Adjustments
          Shrink oversized pages to paper size
          Expand small pages to paper size
          Auto-rotate and center page

. Now, I did experiments and it doesn't seem to be any problem if I activate
`shrink' or even if I activate `expand', but there's a slight error in the body
page size if I don't activate any of them. I didn't try what would happen
activating both.

"Yuri Robbers" <yuri.robbers at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Rodolfo,Is this just in your print? Or also on screen? If it is just in
> your print, the most common cause is having the print options in the Acrobat
> Print Dialog set to "Scale to Prinetr Margins". This is the default setting
> under windows. The setting for almost all professionally made PDFs, but
> especially TeX-generated ones _should_ be "None". This is already the default
> for Linux, hence teh difference.

Yes, that works fine. In Adobe Reader print dialog window there is:

     Page Scaling

. If I choose `None', the problem is worked out. The default is instead `Scale
to Printer Margins'.

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> writes:

> I assume that the font size is the same but the document is scaled
> down so that you get bigger margins.  If not, run pdffonts in order to
> find out whether some fonts are not embedded.  Non-embedded fonts are
> always good for surprisingly results.
> Did you set the paper size properly?  You can check with the program
> pdfinfo.  pdfinfo should detect the paper type.  I get, for instance:
>
> Page size:      595.276 x 841.89 pts (A4)
>
> If this looks well, then you should get the same result at the
> printing shop.  If pdfinfo mentions a wrong paper size, run texconfig.

I ran pdfinfo:

$ pdfinfo curriculum.pdf
Title:          curriculum.dvi
Creator:        dvips(k) 5.92b Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software
Producer:       GPL Ghostscript 8.01
CreationDate:   Wed Feb 28 15:13:15 2007
ModDate:        Wed Feb 28 15:13:15 2007
Tagged:         no
Pages:          1
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      595 x 842 pts (A4)
File size:      25361 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.2

. Do you think it's all right, or should I run texconfig?

Thanks, Frauke, Yuri and Reinhard for your help.
Cheers,
Rodolfo