[texhax] vertical alignement of mutlirow cell

anne Vanhoest annevh at medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 29 19:58:41 CEST 2007

Hello,

Sorry to bother everyone with this apparently simple question, but is it
possible to set the vertical alignment of a multirow cell?

I have the following table:

\ctable[caption= Proposed root-channel correspondence for the SLARSI.,
label=tab:slarsiChan ]
{ccp{6cm}}
{}
{
\FL
Channel	& Root & Actions \ML
1 	& L3L 	& \multirow{2}{6cm}{thigh flexion, adduction and rotation
(hip);  leg extension (knee).} \NN
2 	&\vspace{4pt}L3R 	&  \NN % put the vspace there to actually
get space between this line and the next
3  & L4L 	&  \multirow{2}{6cm}{thigh flexion, adduction and rotation
(hip); leg extension (knee); foot flexion, inversion and toe
extension.}\NN
4 	&\vspace{15pt}L4R 	&  \NN
5 	& L5L 	&  \multirow{2}{6cm}{thigh extension and rotation (hip);
leg flexion (knee); foot flexion, ankle and toe movements.}\NN
6 	&\vspace{15pt}L5R 	&  \NN
7	& S1L 	&  \multirow{2}{6cm}{thigh extension and rotation (hip);
leg flexion (knee); foot flexion, ankle and toe movements.} \NN
8	&\vspace{10pt}S1R	&  \NN
9 	& S2L - S2R 	& thigh extension and rotation (hip); leg flexion
(knee); foot plantar flexion, ankle inversion and toe flexion; light
gluteal stimulation and erection. \NN
10	& S3L - S3R - S4L - S4R 	& leg flexion (knee); foot plantar
flexion and toe movements; bladder and bowel emptying. \LL
}

If you latex it (need ctable package) please add the line
\setlength{\extrarowheight}{4pt} in your intro to replicate mine.
I need the extra row height to include subscripts in cells.

I would like to align the multirow cell so that the text starts in line
with the first cell that it spans instead of centering the text in the
vertical middle of the multirow cell.

If you have an alternative layout for the table please feel free to
suggest anything, I just can't get this table to look right.

Many thanks for your help

anne

anne Vanhoest

Dept of Medical Physics and Bioengineering
Malet Place Engineering Building
UCL

Gower Street
WC1E 6BT London