[texhax] Bibliographystyle which sorts by year

Dan Hatton vi5u0-texhax at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 11:33:24 CEST 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> I have a strange problem: the same author's name appears in different
> variants in different papers: say J. Doe, Joe Doe, J. W. Doe, Joe W.
> Doe (etc). Then bibliographystyle alpha would list J. Doe first
> (sorting by year), then J. W. Doe, etc.

> * Is there any way to tell LaTeX that this is the same author
> (without replacing all these names by one)?

I'm guessing you're using BibTeX.  There's a nice trick in item 13 on
<http://www.eeng.dcu.ie/local-docs/btxdocs/btxdoc/btxdoc/node8.html#SECTION00040000000000000000>,
which amounts to putting these in the database with

author="J[oe W.] Doe"
author="Joe[ W.] Doe"
author="J[oe] W. Doe"
author="Joe W. Doe"

respectively.

> * Is there a bibliographystile which sorts by year, author rather than
> by author, year as alpha doe?

There's a package on CTAN called custom-bib.  With this package, you
LaTeX a particular file, LaTeX interactively asks you a bunch of
questions about what you want your bibliography to be like, and it
creates a bibliography style based on your answers.  One of the
questions it asks is whether you want references to be sorted by
author, year, reverse year, or not at all.

--

HTH

Dan Hatton

<http://www.bib.hatton.btinternet.co.uk/dan/>