[texhax] LaTeX bibliography woes.

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at uninsubria.it
Wed Jul 11 12:31:47 CEST 2007

> The only question remaining is how to
> insert the pseudo-section headers into \thebibliography environment.
>
> 	Simply pasting it as a separate paragraph doesn't work.
> Using \item
> results in the line with the pseudo-header being numbered, which is
> definitely not what I want. The [label] option for \item I
> saw mentioned
> somewhere doesn't seem to work within \thebibliography.
> 	Is there any reasonable way to squeeze them in?

Buried deep inside a lot of other code I have

  \vspace{3ex plus1ex minus1ex}
  \leftline{\normalsize\bfseries\@nameuse{pubhead\@nampublevel}}%
  \nopagebreak[4]
  \vspace{1ex plus1ex}

Which is activated by having BibTeX add an extra argument to its output and
use a command like \mybibitem.  The extra argument is numeric and ordered so
that each subgroup of biblio items has the same number and from group to
group it increases and is saved as \@newpublevel. When the number is equal
to that of the previous item (saved as \curpublevel), \mybibitem behaves
just like \bibitem; when the value changes, the above code is run, where
\@nameuse{pubhead\@newpublevel} outputs the required bibliography
subheading.

It is admittedly hacky, but it does what I want.

Cheers,  Phil