[texhax] LaTeX bibliography woes.

Evgenie Medvedev medvedev at project7.ru
Tue Jul 10 06:20:35 CEST 2007

Karl Berry wrote:

> Perhaps report the UTF-8 woes to the biblatex author (Lehmann).  Maybe
> he has a development version or something.

	Well, unless anyone can give me an obvious reason which I missed (it
breaks on \CYRA, which is the encoding-independent way used throughout
babel, so it might be something fundamental about scoping which I don't
understand yet) I guess I will have to go directly to the author...

> Indeed.  It seems to me that there is nothing premade which can split up
> the bbl into your arbitrary sectioning, in which case you'll just have
> to do it with your own script.

	All the packages that do the splitting, except the ones that split
citations by chapter, don't attempt to do it automatically either,
they're assuming you'll give them several files instead. Right now I'm
thinking of having an extra field in the .bib, which should make it neater.

> From this comment, I'm imagining you want output like this:
> In other words, the ordering is consecutive, doesn't restart at each
> heading.

	Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for, though I'd rather not kludge
around it like you described. I noticed that if I split \thebibliography
within the .bbl file by ending and restarting it, full citations in
footnotes still work fine -- but every time the environment stops and
restarts, it starts on a new page with a chapter-level heading, and
restarts the list numbering. If I somehow manage to prevent that, I
could use normal section headings.

> Sounds like quite an adventure ...

	With all it's power, LaTeX offers a surprising number of cases where
it's "my way or the highway" as soon as you try to write a long text in
anything which doesn't fit into Latin-1. This is by far not the first of
my problems, just the one that's taking the longest to fix. The  only
consolation is that once they're fixed they tend to stay fixed.

--
Evgenie Medvedev