[texhax] no luck redefining \descriptionlabel to include a newline

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Sat Jan 27 16:28:09 CET 2007

Dear list,

I am trying to make a description list have a new line after the
labels:

  Label   this is how it normally is, this is how it normally is,
      this is how it normally is, ...

  Label
      this is how I want it, this is how I want it, this is how
      I want it, ...

Thus I do this in the preamble:

  \makeatletter
  \renewcommand{\descriptionlabel}[1]%
    {\hspace{\labelsep}\descfont{#1}\newline}
  \makeatother

However, the newline is not happening, and neither if I use \\
instead.

I tried to do this:

  {A\hspace{\labelsep}B\descfont{#1}C{\newline}D}

and ABCD show up at the expected points in the output, so I know
that the redefinition of \descriptionlabel is actually having an
effect.

But why does it not honour the \newline?

Thanks,

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net

click the start menu and select 'shut down.'