[texhax] simple manuscript

Sean Sieger sean.sieger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 19:24:46 CET 2007

I have had success teaching myself Texinfo and MusiXTeX, and I now I
am trying to pick up LaTeX by typesetting my verse and cannot find
examples of the manuscript design that I am looking for. Having read
documentation and tutorials for a couple of weeks this is what I have
come up with:

\documentclass[12pt,titlepage]{article}
\author{me}
\title{poems}
\begin{document}
\maketitle
\tableofcontents
\section*{apoem}
\raggedright
\baselineskip = 24pt
a line of verse\break
another line of verse\break
\pagebreak
\section*{anotherpoem}
\raggedright
\baselineskip = 24pt
a line of verse\break
another line of verse\break
\pagebreak
\end{document}

Which doesn't build a table of contents but just the heading
'Contents' at the top of the page of the first poem. I was trying to
suppress section numbering for the poems and in the table of
contents. How do I get the poems unnumbered and the table of contents
on a separate page?

Another thing I would like to accomplish is to move the page numbers
to top center.

I started to read eplain documentation when it occurred to me to ask
texhax finally.