[texhax] table numbering

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at uninsubria.it
Thu Jan 11 10:33:44 CET 2007

> i'm confused by
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=running-nos

I don't see why, it's quite clear in what it tries explain - perhaps it's
just not relevant to your problem.  But then you might be advised to try
reading the relevant section of one of the many useful guides (e.g., "The
Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2ε" = lshort.dvi).

> b/c the numbers of my figure/table _captions_ check out, the
> _references_
> to them are off, e.g. referring to Table 3.3.2 i get Table 5.  so i'm
> asking for a hint to help google through the pile of stuff on
> numbering.

The problem is usually to do with placement of the \label{} command.
Obviously, it must be placed INSIDE the relevant environment, but, less
known, it must come AFTER the \caption command (often it is suggested to
place it inside the \caption argument (though this is not strictly
necessary). The point is that it is the \caption command that triggers the
new number.

Of course, I'm just guessing and as usual, it would have been much better to
include a small example of what you're doing in the posting.

Cheers,  Phil Ratcliffe