[texhax] Sentence end after \uppercase

Joel Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 21:51:57 CET 2007

> > If a word in \uppercase{} ends a sentence, how can I tell TeX to put
> > the post-sentence spacing as if the sentence had ended in lower case?
>
> Don't the usual tricks work?  All of the following seem to do it:
>
> \uppercase{m\null}. m
> \uppercase{m}\null. m
> \uppercase{M\null}. m
> \uppercase{M}\null. m

Except the last two also produce end-of-sentence spaces.  What I'd
like is a macro that will expand
    \newuppercase{M}. foo
    M. foo
and
    \newuppercase{m}. bar
    M at . bar
i.e., I want the end-of-sentence algorithm to see the original case of
the letter inside the macro argument, not the upper case it's been
forced to.

This is now more curiosity than practical need; the \introduce macro
in ScriptTeX will not often be called with an acronym and so the \null
trick looks like The Right Thing™ for now.

--Joel