[texhax] two minor latex questions

Zbigniew Nitecki zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu
Thu Feb 15 19:28:35 CET 2007

1. Sometimes, when I want to denote a function in the usual way, viz f
(x) or \theta(x) I get more space between the function name and the
first parenthesis than I want.  How can I control that, in particular
in the context of a macro  (eg,
	\newcommand{\of}[2]{\ensuremath{#1(#2)}}
used as
	\of{f}{t})?

2. When I want to use "dot" notation for the time-derivative of a
vector quantity (that is, a symbol surmounted by an arrow, and then
by a dot) I have been using
	\newcommand{\vecdot}[1]{\ensuremath{\accentset{.}{\vec{#1}}}}
but the "dot" in this case is so tiny as to often be lost.  How do I
get a larger dot?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University