[texhax] Vista and TeX (well, almost)

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Fri Feb 9 18:24:31 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Martin Schröder wrote:

> 2007/2/9, Chris Rowley <C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk>:
>> Simply `UTF-8 support' is not sufficient for `Unicode 5.0'.  The editor has
>> to support the high numbers, sometimes called the supplementary planes.
>> [And this is the reason for exposing this calleng here: that is where
>> some mind-bogglingly way-out slots, inspired by LaTeX-maths, have ended up.]
>
> Since Reinhard suggests a look at Emacs, I have to suggest a look at
> the latest vim. :)
>
> Useful links:
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
> http://www.vim.org/htmldoc/mbyte.html
> http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=246
>
> I have no experience with Unicode 5 and vim, so I don't vouche that it
> works; expect to ask the vim users (or Markus :).

I do not really know what unicode 5 is, but one limitation that I have
found in using utf math symbols with vim is to find a font to display
those symbols. Since vim only uses monotype font, you also need a font
to display all the math symbols you are looking for. In big fonts like
courier and lucida monotype, the common math symbols (greek letters,
set relations, binary operators) etc are present, but many of the
exotic symbols are not. I do not know if there are fonts that contain
all these symbols.

Aditya