[texhax] PNAS style

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Mon Feb 5 19:05:26 CET 2007

> Barbara:
>
> > did you wipe out existing .aux files before
> > rerunning?  that guarantees a clean slate.
>
> Yes I had been doing that as part of a script
>
> >     I did get the condensed form [1-3], but it has brackets.
> >
> >     I got the same result with
> >
> >     \DeclareOption{natbib}{%
> >       \PassOptionsToPackage{numbers,sort&compress,round}{natbib}}
> >
> >     So it didn't work.
> >
> > it may still not work, but worth trying.
>
> The problem turned out to be similar to the .aux file - I was using an
> old pnas.sty.  The direct call works now from inside pnas.sty!
> That is, pnas.sty contains (besides comments):
>
> \renewcommand\@biblabel[1]{#1.}
> \usepackage[numbers,sort&compress,round]{natbib}
>
> and that does the job.

Good, glad you got it sorted out - in fact, I couldn't reproduce the
problem.

I'd just like to mention this to Barbara: I don't think there is any real
problem with using \usepackage inside style files.  Indeed, in my MiKTeX
setup latex.ltx contains the following: \let\usepackage\RequirePackage.
Also \RequirePackage works fine with options passed directly inside [].  As
far as my understanding goes (which isn't always that far!) the thing of
passing options is to allow your package to be called with options, which
can then be passed on to other packages.

Cheers,  Phil Ratcliffe