[texhax] PNAS style

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Mon Feb 5 16:27:47 CET 2007

Phil:

> > Ok, so it needs to be named pnas.sty and not pnas.cls (though I don't
> > understand the difference).
>
> The .sty files are for loading with \usepackage while .cls are loaded with
> \documentclass.  A class file does a complete job of setting up an output
> format and must actually make certain definitions, whereas packages do very
> simple jobs of alteration or furnishing additional commands.

Thanks much for taking the time to explain that!!

> > I am keeping the file for now in the same
> > directory while I work on it so access is not a problem.  I'm doing
> > the work on a Sun, so it's a different installation, but my
> > installation is fine.
>
> That should be ok.

Yes.

> > The relevant calls are:
> >
> > \usepackage[numbers,sort&compress,round]{natbib}
> >
> > \makeatletter
> > \renewcommand\@biblabel[1]{#1.}
> > \makeatother
>
> The \makeatletter and \makeatother are necessary if you use commands with
> the @ symbol inside a .tex file, but you shouldn't use them inside a .sty
> file; it's already protected and in a subtly different way.

Ok, I removed them from the .sty and it still works.

> However, this
> doesn't explain your problem.  Especially since "round" is the default
> (according to the manual).  I suspect there is some other package loaded
> AFTER pnas.sty that is altering this.
>
> Cheers,  Phil Ratcliffe

I had these before:

\usepackage{html} % use this for making html
\usepackage{graphics}
\usepackage{color}

and

\usepackage{pslatex} % Times New Roman Font

afterwards.  I removed the graphics, color and pslatex but the
brackets were still there.

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)