[texhax] forcing a piece of text to the right margin, even on a blank line

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Sun Dec 30 19:18:33 CET 2007

Steve Schwartz :

> Dear All,
> I have one that has defeated me, but should be solvable. Our exam style
> puts the marks for a particular question on the last line of that
> question, but pushed to the right edge (with a bit of leading space) if
> there's room. Else it goes on the next line all by itself, but still
> aligned along the right margin, i.e.,
> |blah blah      [2 marks]|
> and
> |blah blah blah blah blah|
> |               [2 marks]|
> where | shows the edge of the text. Try as I might, I can't generate a
> macro that will do this. It's easy to do the first, but if the line is
> too long, leading space tends to get gobbled up and I end up with:
> |blah blah blah blah blah|
> |[2 marks]               |
> I've tried all manner of boxes, \phantoms, etc. The best I have managed
> is:
> \newcommand\qmarks[1]{\quad\nolinebreak\hfill{[#1~qmarks]}}
> which needs to be placed immediately after the question without any
> space, i.e.,
> blah blah blah blah blah\qmarks{2}
> This ALWAYS gets the marks to the right edge, because it drags the last
> blah to the next line with it. This makes for ugly lines as tex
> desperately stretches the rest out. I attach a short sample for someone
> to play with.
> With best wishes for the New Year,
> Steve

This is a well known problem from whenever preople want to create their
own proof environments, it always goes wrong.

But there is a solution, use the following construction stolen from

\leavevmode\unskip\penalty9999 \hbox{}\nobreak\hfill

(the text part of the definition of \qed), I've stolen this many times,
and it works just fine