[texhax] plaintex

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Aug 17 10:37:13 CEST 2007

On  16 Aug, 2007, at 20:41, AHEB Brady wrote:

> I’m a TUG neophyte. But I tex everything. Started in 1996 with
> plaintex on DOS 5.11 (?Maybe, not sure) Thought I was savvy. But my
> DOS 5.11 (or Windows 3.1?) finally crashed; I’m trying to start
> over on Windows XP Pro, only because it’s here. My block is this:
> Protext is latex. Texlive2007 looks latex.

ProTeXt (based on MikTeX: http://www.miktex.org/ ) and TeXLive are
complete TeX & friends (plain TeX, LaTeX, etc.) distributions.

> Winshell is latex.

It's indeed, as far as I know, a LaTeX front-end editor. I don't know
if it can send plain TeX commands.

> I load Texlive2007 over and over from the DVD and get tplmgui.ini
> ‘failed’.

You have to achieve a successful installation first, in order to be
able to use plain TeX. Maybe if you give more data someone here can
help you with this.

> But then I still need a plaintex editor. I’LL PAY.

You don't have to pay. You already have Emacs with AUCTeX for Windows
in your DVD.

> I would like a plaintex environment.

You will have it as soon as you have your installation running OK. I
use TeX and LaTeX with TeXLive (on a Mac, but both are the same) and
it works fine.

Best,

Axel