[texhax] Font help needed.

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Apr 19 01:15:13 CEST 2007

Hi John,

    why is the tfm itself not included?
    Is it a space limitation?

Partly space reasons, partly historical.

    The listing in pdftex.map seems to have no utility since the font
    variant can't be used "out of the box".

No, it should work.  All the infrastructure is there to build the tfm's
dynamically via mktextfm, so the TeX document just says \font\foo=larxc
or whatever it is and it gets built.

    I can manipulate my programs to list the missing tfms

Sure, I'd be interested in seeing the list so I can check for non-lh
"missing" tfm's, since mktextfm isn't extensively used for any other
font package that I can think of.

    if that is what you are driving at.

Not really, the "missing" tfm's are an independent issue.  I was
pointing out that building a good font catalogue for a distribution
needs more work than listing a zillion tfm and FontNames.  The ideal
would be a one-page condensation :).

Best,
Karl