[texhax] about Overfull Box & Underfull Box

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Apr 10 01:38:20 CEST 2007

  > Dear All, Sometimes when I compile a document, Underfull box and
  > Overfull box warning message came out. But when I see the output
  > document (I prefer to make a pdf file as output file), I didn't
  > see anything that out of the body text. All of the body text
  > printed so well (the right edge of the body look fine). So, my
  > question are why those message (underfull and overfull box) still
  > appear and how to fix those problems?

You can make overfull boxes visible if you set the LaTeX documentclass
option 'draft'.  In plain TeX you can say \overfullrule=5pt.  The
latter will work with LaTeX too.  I mention this because some LaTeX
packages behave different if the draft option is set.

You simply do not see {over,under}full boxes because TeX is less
tolerant than you.

If you are using pdflatex you can try

   \usepackage{microtype}

and many of the bad-box-messages will disappear.  Maybe it even
results in less hyphenations.  microtype is a LaTeX package which
depends on pdftex, hence pdflatex is required.  It also requires a
recent TeX distribution, at least pdftex-1.30.

BTW, your mail contains plain text and HTML.  It would be nice if you
can avoid HTML when you post to mailing list (at least).

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25