[texhax] Hyphenation problem with makeindex

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:58:57 CEST 2007

(Rodolfo, sorry for the second copy of this mail, I've sent it off
list by mistake.)

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 05:33:49PM +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I'll take a look at those macros, which, if I understand what you say, cancel
> TeX's capability of hyphenating?

That's what I meant.  They not necessarily disable hyphenation
directly, but may cause a side effect -- something like that.

> I was taking a look at the two scripts:
> index1.icn and index2.icn which are part of Tex for the Impatient, but don't
> manage to make them work.
> Please any indication with them?

I can't help with them -- never used them.  But beware, TODO for TeX
for the Impatient lists as one of the items converting the index
handling to MakeIndex!  In the view of that I'd not recommend to use
them.  Besides, there's a newer indexing program called xindy:

  http://xindy.sourceforge.net

which is supposed to address deficiencies of MakeIndex.  I've heard it
has a powerful style definition language which allows very complex
things, and supports non-Latin languages very well.  So my advice is
to try xindy (not that I've ever used it, so far I just could get away
with MakeIndex).

Best,
Oleg