[texhax] Passing Underscore

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Sep 19 20:37:04 CEST 2006

  > What puzzles me here: I once encountered the problem many years
  > ago.  But in the recent year, I had no trouble at all with an
  > underscore in the argument of \include (e.g.:
  > \include{hsgraz_1}). (Difference \include/\input?)

Both versions of \input ("\input foo " and "\input{foo}") as well as
\includegraphics accept an underscore in the filename.  I doubt that
this feature had been added to LaTeX2e recently.

I wonder about the problems you had.  There are two things where I
expect problems:  If you are using \openin in LaTeX you probably need
Phil's macro or something similar and if you want to typeset the
filename you have to solve the \catcode problem somehow.

I suppose the not everyone on the list noticed that the TeX primitive
\input had been enhanced in pdftex recently.

If you put a filename into double quotes it may contain spaces.
Hence you can say:

      \input "my file"

A bit off-topic but maybe interesting though.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25