[texhax] Latex: dumbing down? (fwd)

Michael Barr mbarr at math.mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 14 15:47:20 CEST 2006

Although I had no doubt that I could eventually accomplish this within
latex, go look at what the unsophisticated original author actually did
do.  The result was ghastly and not what he really wanted, but it was what
he knew how to get.  Had he been taught about $$...\eqno...$$, he probably
would have done that and got what he wanted.  When I first started using
latex, in around 1986, I freely mixed plain tex and latex.  And I still
do.

I had thought this thread had died out, but since it is continuing, I am
going to raise a further question.  Does the latex 3 team intend to try to
make it impossible to mix plain and latex code?  Will they go beyond
deprecation and get into forbidding.  The AMS, for example, has tried to
make it impossible to use \pmatrix (and relatives) by redefining it to
give an error message.  I discovered this after a book I had written that
used a couple dozen matrices was accepted for publication by a series that
uses the AMS as their publishing arm and was forced to use their class
file.  (I solved my problem by redefining \pmatrix after their macros were
loaded.)  Does the latex 3 team plan on doing things like that?  If so,
they will cause a fork in latex, with people like me continuing to use
latex 2e and the rest going along with latex 3.

Michael Barr